Sunday, January 11, 2009

Let's do the time warp again!

Last night, I was reminded just how old I am starting to feel. I met my friend, Cheryl, her friend, Lynn and her son, Kevin and his new girlfriend at Average Joe's for a couple of drinks. I had not seen Kevin in probably eight years and holy cow, he looked completely different! He is a full grown person--not the young teenager that I remembered him to be. The funny thing is that I don't feel any different, but the kids that I knew in my teens and twenties have completely grown up. The same also applies to the kids I used to babysit who lived across the street from us when I was a teenager. They are now in their twenties! Corey recently became a father. Where does the time go? I probably will say the same thing in ten years when Drew is 14 years old and Claire is 11 years old. We will have a moody teenager and preteen on our hands who will want nothing to do with their annoying parents.

Speaking of going back in time, every now and then I will look at the people on Facebook who went to my high school. I admit I was pretty much a nobody in high school and I could not wait to move on to bigger and better things in college. Yesterday, as I was looking at the people, I found the guy who I had the biggest crush (there were several boys that I had crushes on, but this crush lasted the longest) on in high school. I stalked this kid, but never said a word to him. He looked nothing like what he did in high school--he had grey hair and horned rimmed glasses on! It was a shock and needless to say, he is no longer very cute. I have found a lot of the guys on Facebook from high school who were once skinny and had a head full of hair are now bald and quite chubby. Don't worry, I shared this entire story with Aaron--who didn't seem to think it was all that interesting. I guess it just goes to show that there is justice in the world for all of those guys who ignored me in high school! :)

Finally, an update on my mom. She has gained some weight and is now up to 100 lbs (give or take a pound). While she is not completely out of the woods--everyone with hospice and the nursing home are very encouraged by her progress. A month ago, we were told to prepare for the worst. So, once again, we remain on the roller coaster--but at least we are going up the hill. Thank you for all of your thoughts and prayers--I believe they really helped us and my mom. My brother and his two sons are flying out here for a visit in a week and a half. My brother had thought it would be a visit to say goodbye to my mom--but she proved him wrong. I think she really wanted to stick around to see him again and she is getting her wish. I am glad that they are visiting and Drew is thrilled that both boys will be visiting. They visited us just before Claire was born and Drew absolutely loved seeing and playing with them. It will be interesting to see how little Miss Claire interacts with them. She will probably want to be in the middle of their fun too.

No comments: