Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Random thoughts about the election and being a mom

First, I just want to say that no matter what your political preference is, last night this county made history. A moment that I never thought would come--but it has. Honestly, I just think that after eight years, our country was/is ready for a change. That is pretty typical. I was on the fence this summer about who I was going to vote for (and that has never happened before). I did vote for Barack Obama yesterday and I felt good about my decision. I do not envy the position he is in now--it is going to be a very tough job. I think John McCain is a good man--who has fought for his county in war and in the Senate and deserves our admiration and respect. Hopefully, this county can take the words from Senator McCain's speech last night and move this country forward together.

Second, after being home full time with the kids for just over a month--I have to admit that it has been a huge learning curve for me. Everything I thought that would be resolved by me staying home still remains unresolved. The house is still messy, I still stink at cooking dinner (well, not the easy stuff like Sloppy Joes, brats, spagetti, etc.) and I am still exhausted. I have renamed both of my kids "the tornadoes" because they can mess up a room in less than ten minutes. Just when I think I have one room looking somewhat respectable--the two of them come in and it looks the same before I cleaned it up. Ugh. I need some foolproof good recipes that everyone will enjoy in this family--not an easy task. I have always struggled with balancing my roles as wife, mom, employee, friend, daughter, etc. I am not sure I will ever reach that point where I think I have got it all figured out.

2 comments:

Julie said...

I really liked what McCain had to say and I hope we can come together as a nation. I think he conceded with a lot of grace. I'm just SO glad it's all over. It was starting to wear on me. I voted for McCain, but was glad to tell my 7 year old the next morning that our country, for the first time ever, had elected black man as President. That made me feel good about our nation.

And I have to say that it is so nice to talk openly with you (even though it's through a blog :-) and know that we felt differently about the election and know that I can express how I feel without being attacked. I love this country!

Jennifer Randolph said...

Thank you for your comment--I am glad that we can share our thoughts too. I have both Republican and Democrat friends and it is great to have that balance.